Friday 16 September 2011

I need help with Apache...?

I installed Apache and for the domain i type 'localhost' and when I type localhost into my browser, it comes up fine..but after I went into the httpd.conf and changed the line that said #ServerName localhost:80 and i tried several different .com and .net addresses both with and without the www. in front of it and when i type them into my internet browser they dont come up, but it will still load if i type 'localhost'. How do I make a name like www.mywebsite.com, and how do I make it so others can get to it?? I am really new to website hosting... I already changed the settings on my router so that when port 80 is requested it forwards to my IP. The httpd.conf file also has a line that says



# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.



is this saying that to create a site like www.mysite.com i have to register it somehow? and what does it mean by 'host', is this my ISP or Apache? Or something totally different?
I need help with Apache...?
You need to have a registered domain, that points to your server.



So for instance, if you have a registered domain name of example.com registered at godaddy, you would need to use their interface to point it to your server.



You also need to configure apache with your domain name in it:

#ServerName example.com:80 and your computer should be configured as a nameserver, or you can use a host if they allow it.



There are also free nameservers you can use. Try googling free dns servers. I used to know of several, but they escape me now.