Wednesday 21 September 2011

How do I get my wireless internet working again?

So recently I got my computer back from the computer store, as it had overheated and fried the motherboard and they had to replace it with a new one. I have a compaq presario, and i use a tp-link router and a tp-link wireless adapter. Before it overheated, both my computer and my internet connection were working fine, as was both my brothers x-box and my laptop which are also wirelessly connected to the router. But, ever since I got my computer back, the internet connection hasn't been working on it at all. The laptop and x-box connection are working fine, but the computer is a no-go. When I first plugged my computer up and tried to connect to the wirless network, it came up with 'Limited or no connectivity', so naturally, I clicked on the repair button, only to find that as soon as small window came up with 'Renewing IP address' it would tell me that it was unable to do that. So, I turned off my router and my modem, turned it on again and tried again. Still, no improvement. I then googled the matter and someone suggested to manually change the IP address and the DNS server etc... so, I did. I used the codes from my laptop settings, and instantly it told me that i'm connected, yet... when I tried to use the internet it didn't work. I then checked the status of the connection and it says whilst I'm sending packages, I'm not receiving any. I did this again with my main computers details, ending with the same results. So, I resorted to google once again, and another person suggested using winfix. It did nothng at all. It just brought me back to square one, with the little bubble on the left hand corner of my screen telling me I have limited or no connectivity. Help please :) this is soooo frustrating!
How do I get my wireless internet working again?
Start -%26gt; Settings -%26gt; Control Panel -%26gt; System -%26gt; Hardware tab -%26gt; Device Manager button. Click on %26quot;Network Adapter%26quot; and uninstall your wireless adapter. Reboot and XP should detect and reinstall the device. That should clear out all the old settings at the same time. Now when you run the Wireless Networking Wizard you should start with a clean slate.
How do I get my wireless internet working again?
A couple of things could be wrong. I would try the reboot of the router with the non-working computer plugged in via ethernet for the reboot. I bet that does it.