Friday 16 September 2011

How to fix 169.254.XX.XX IP Adress? (Best Answer gets 10Pts)?

My specs:

- Xbox360 Arcade Model w/ 20gb hard-drive

- Xbox360 Wireless N Adapter



ISP:

- Time Warner Cable (Cable Phone Internet) w/ SMC 8014WG-SI Wireless Router

- Vonage (Seperate Internet Phone) w/ Motorola SBV5121 Router

Both have TWC wires feeding into them but only the wireless router is plugged into the computer via ethernet cable.



My Network Setup:

- Dell PC (Main) in living room.

- Dell Laptop (Secondary) in my room.

- Xbox in my room.

- Various cellphones and ipods connected to the network.



The Problem:

A few days ago I tried connecting my xbox to my laptop via Windows Media Center. Unfortunately it was unsucessful leading to the disconnecting of my internet on my xbox. Come to find out I have APIPA or a DHCP failure. I tried a static IP address with manual DNS settings.. it didnt work. I tried accessing Time Warner Cables Router website to check to see if any settings were changed, but couldnt access it from my laptop or my main computer. Im trying to do it myself so I dont have to call in a technician. (The main computer's IP address is apparently being controlled by the vonage box....wtf. My laptop is running Time Warners IP. And my Xbox used to run Time Warners IP.)

So with all that said, can someone resolve my issue?



**Person whos response fixes my situation will get BEST ANSWER.**



Answers that wont be considered are:

- Restart all your network equipment. (Been there. Done that. Next.)

- Buy all new equipment. (This is a recession buddy. And Im a college student. Enough said.)

- Call TWC. (My last resort will not get you best answer.)
How to fix 169.254.XX.XX IP Adress? (Best Answer gets 10Pts)?
Hi,



It sounds to me that you are trying to use ICS Internet Connection Sharing on your Laptop but the address ICS uses (192.168.0.X) is already in use on the SMC which is why your having problems.



Two solutions



1) Change the ip address range of the SMC to a different address range e.g. 192.168.10.X)

2) Use Bridging on your laptop instead of ICS and set your Xbox IP Address to auto



Whichever you decide this guide:- http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/x鈥?/a>



And this site http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk Will help