Friday 16 September 2011

Can the NAT be affected by connecting through a laptop to xbox live?

Im trying to play halo 3 online but its extremely laggy. It says my NAT is moderate. Im trying to change it to open but I can't assign an static IP address, it disconnects from live and wont reconnect. I have all my DNS settings correct I know that. I can't forward the ports on my router because the have 192.168.1.(something) and my xbox'x automatic IP has a 0 where the 1 is. How do I open my NAT? Is there a possibility it could be settings on my laptop im connecting to rather than the router itself?
Can the NAT be affected by connecting through a laptop to xbox live?
Unfortunately, you're going to have to find a way to connect your Xbox directly to your main router. And even then, you may not have much luck if your main router doesn't support either %26quot;UPnP%26quot; or %26quot;Full Cone%26quot;. The problem is that when Xbox goes live, it needs to establish a connection with a central server to get the game maps and coordinate its game, and it also needs to establish a direct connection (via UDP) to other gamers in your group. Direct UDP connections between players is necessary because of the speed of the game and the need to convey bits of information in real time. Going through a central server for all this information would choke the central server and slow down game play for everyone.



On the other hand, establishing a direct connection between players over UDP is not the most secure way to connect to the Internet, and routers normally block such attempts. The people at Xbox understand this limitation, so they take advantage of several %26quot;tricks%26quot; to coax the routers to allow direct connections. One of these tricks involves using a router protocol called UPnP, which essentially tells the routers to temporarily allow limited direct access between players. Another trick involves using something called %26quot;Full Cone%26quot;, which uses a third party to %26quot;trick%26quot; the router into temporarily allowing a direct connection. The degree to which these methods are successful are denoted by the terms:

1. Strict NAT - No direct connection possible

2. Moderate NAT - Some degree of direct connection possible

3. Open (or full) NAT - Full connection possible



If you have Moderate NAT, it means that everyone else in your group must have either Open or Moderate NAT before a game can be played.



I'm surprised that connecting through your laptop is successful at all. Normally Microsoft incorporates a very strict policy when being used as a router, and they would block all access.



I've written an article on my blog about this very topic, which I reference below.



The bottom line is that you may need to go so far as to get a new router, and then connect your Xbox directly to it. Fortunately, routers are very inexpensive today, so that won't cost too much. My personal experience (I play Halo 3 waaayyyy too much) is that wireless is worthless - go with a direct connection if at all possible. And make sure that your new router is compatible with Xbox. My blog article has a copy of a logo that you should see on your router to ensure it is Xbox Live compatible.



Good luck!

Dan

(gamer tag: combatdan)
Can the NAT be affected by connecting through a laptop to xbox live?
check the ports you need to run the game windows or your router may have essential ports blocked the ingame settings should tell you what ports are required also the game makers site should have info