Friday 16 September 2011

How do I run a web server behind a router behind a cable modem?

I have a Web Server that works on my Lan. But I want it open to the Internet. Problem is that my Linksys DD-WRT %26quot;repeater%26quot; connects to another Linksys Router connected to the Internet. I can not change any settings on the Internet connected Linksys. I have a NO-IP account for DNS. I have also added DDNS and Port Forwarding on my DD-WRT Router. Can my Web Server operate to the internet like a Web Browser does? Meaning I can access a Web Site from me to the Internet. Can somone access my Web Server via the Internet? I don't know how this works, but there has to be a way. Thanks.
How do I run a web server behind a router behind a cable modem?
Your setup sounds a little confusing but you're on the right track. Normally you would configure your internet router (the one that receives its IP address from the ISP) to forward port 80 (http) inbound (port forwarding). Then use DDNS so people on the Internet can hit your server. You should put a DDNS client on the server if your router won't support it. The client checks in with the DDNS service periodically so that it can update your IP address if it changes. You may also want to forward port 443 for https.



Also make sure your 'upstream' speed is fast enough to support a server. Loading web pages doesn't take that much bandwidth I reckon but downloads on a slow pipe would be annoying.
  • background sturdy drive
  • ie
  •