Friday 16 September 2011

How do I assign a static IP address to my computer?

I've looked at some youtube videos and did the thing where I open up Command Promt and enter ipconfig/all, then I go to my network settings and change my adapter settings. After I do that I don't get any internet access though! I really need some help with this please!

also, my DNS servers address is the same as my Subnet mask, so what's up with that?

Thank you for all your time and help!
How do I assign a static IP address to my computer?
Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0

Your DNS would be some %26quot;random%26quot; numbers, whatever your actual DNS server IP address are...

Most home IP, after a router look like 192.168.1.x. Make sure your static IP is not in the same range as the DHCP pool of the router.



If you don't have a router, but connect direct to the modem, you cannot change anything at all - you have to use what the ISP gives you...
How do I assign a static IP address to my computer?
You need to log into your router and turn off DHCP for the network device you want to have a static ip. Note the ip address chosen should be outside the range of ip used by DHCP, i.e. your computer ip assigned by DHCP is 192.168.1.5, this would indicate that the ip chosen by DHCP is in the range of xxx.xxx.x.2 thru 10. The Static addresses I've used are xxx.xxx.x.100 and above. Then open the network settings for the device (computer, printer, etc) and set it to the same address as the one chosen in the router settings.

DNS should be your router ip.



Good Luck
That's something you sort our with your ISP.