Friday 16 September 2011

How do I determine the correct IP, DNS server, subnet mask, etc. for my Xbox 360 while using a router?

The IP address of my Xbox 360, when set to automatic, always changes. This means I cannot forward ports to a specific IP address in my router settings, because the IP address is always different. (My router does not appear to give me the option to forward ports to a range of IP addresses, only one IP per port or port range.) Therefore, I need to enter a static IP for my 360 using manual network configuration.



How do I determine the correct static IP and other network settings for my 360?



Thanks.
How do I determine the correct IP, DNS server, subnet mask, etc. for my Xbox 360 while using a router?
You can pick any IP address in your IP range that isn't being used to be the static IP. That's really up to you. I'm going to assume a few things here, but this is what your settings should be:



XBox IP: whatever you want, as long as it's not used and it's on your network. You could set it to automatic once, check the IP that it gets, then set that as your static since you know it's an available IP to assign

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: IP address of your router

DNS: IP address of your router. If you can leave DNS as automatic while still using a static IP, I'd suggest doing that instead.