Friday 16 September 2011

How can I be connected to the internet and not able to use it?

Hello. I just can't seem to wrap my head around this. I'm running Vista Home Premium and Basic on two of my laptops. Each of them are able to connect to my wireless network no problems whatsoever. However, they are practically unable to surf the internet for the most part. When I try to go to any site, about 95% of the time Firefox will tell me %26quot;The connection has been reset%26quot; after connecting to the site. It gets to %26quot;Waiting for www.google.com%26quot; or %26quot;Waiting for 192.168.1.1%26quot; or the like. IE does the same thing as does Google Chrome. I suppose it never %26quot;transfers data%26quot; or such. Only when it wants to. Another thing that's weirding me out is that when I try a ping in the command prompt, its a hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes no. Also, most of the time I can connect to Skype with little to no issues. Same with programs like Frostwire and uTorrent. Once again, the other messengers are hit and miss. Sometimes they'll sustain connection, sometimes they'll be lost. I know its not the router because another of the users are using it just fine and after resetting the router, the problem still remained.



I've searched and searched with no luck at all. There's never any problem that fits the one I have that seems to have a solution that works. I've tried setting a static IP/DNS and changing it back to getting it automatically, I've reset my router, rebooted, dumped my cache, reset my winsocks, tried different configurations of my IPv4/6 settings, disabled and enabled the wireless card, reset my browsers, even tried to download a fix from Microsoft. Nothing seems to work. The thing that's off is that its affecting two of my laptops but not the other. Just seems odd to me is all.



This is the IP config for one of the laptops:

%26lt;begin copy%26gt;

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ME-PC

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List . . . . . . : satx.rr.com



Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:



Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sat.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter

Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . 00-23-4D-93-A0-15

DCHP Enabled . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . : Yes

Link-Local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecdb:2bca:177b:1f08%11 %26lt;Preferred%26gt;

IPv4 Address . . . . . . . . . . . . 192.168.1.102 %26lt;Preffered%26gt;

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . 225.225.225.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.127

24.93.41.128

NetBIOS over Tcpip . . . . . . . . . : Enabled

%26lt;end copy%26gt;



Like I said... I don't know what to do. Anything suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.
How can I be connected to the internet and not able to use it?
If you have taken your laptops to a wireless network that needs a proxy and you set that proxy to use the internet/network. Then you have to change it back. Good Luck, Need any more info email me at darkestlight15@gmail.com.



I could be wrong but thats what it sounds like to me.



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++鈥?br>


If it works fine at your college, there is a chance they have proxy's and what not, Open up firefox go to tools/settings tab then head to internet options, Then the connections tab, then near the bottom is LAN settings and check if theres anything in the proxy section if so un tick %26quot; Use proxy server for a lan%26quot; If theres nothing there im not sure. Sorry. But if there is when you go back to your college just tick that again and the net should work. Good Luck
How can I be connected to the internet and not able to use it?
Sometimes, the connection will say its connected, but under signal strength, it will say No_Signal
Location? House, dormitory?

=

Distance from PCs to Router? Walls, furniture, mirrors between PCs %26amp; Router?

-

Interference: Other Wireless Networks? Cordless Telephones? Microwave Ovens?

-

The wireless connection maybe to weak to pass data.

- - Can you connect while sitting in same room as wireless router?
it might be your internet driver, it happened to me once but i rebooted my comp and made sure to install it this time