Sunday 5 June 2011

The internet isn't working because of the DNS (domain name server). How can i change the settings? ?

I tried to connect to the internet and it didn%26#039;t work. I clicked on diagnose and repair and it said it%26#039;s because of the DNS (domain name server) and the problem has to be solved manually. I don%26#039;t know how to solve it. I don%26#039;t even know how to access the DNS settings. I%26#039;m not even sure if that%26#039;s the problem but i tried everything from turning windows firewall off to connecting to a different network, so i guess there%26#039;s nothing left but this.


NOTE:


I%26#039;m using windows vista home premium. I have this problem on my laptop. I%26#039;m using a wireless connection. I don%26#039;t know much about computers so i%26#039;d appreciate some help.|||I really appreciate it when people actually describe their problem like you just did and provide relevant information. With this information, I think I can actually help. Thanks.





If you click on the Start menu and go to the Control Panel you can click on the Networking and Sharing Center. On the left hand side there should be a task pane. Click on the option that says `Manage Network Connections`. In the new window that opens up, right click on your connection and choose Properties. Under both the TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IP/v6 Properties menus, you should click on `Obtain an IP address automatically`. To be safe, you should disable and then re-enable the connection before testing.





If this doesn%26#039;t work, you can go to a different computer on your LAN with proper DNS settings and go the Start menu and choose the Run command. Type in





ipconfig /all





Write down the DNS servers and go back to the computer with the incorrect DNS settings. Back under the Properties windows for both the TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 options you can click the button that says `Use the following DNS server addresses` and enter the addresses in the field beneath it.