Sunday 5 June 2011

In windows 2000 on a domain DNS settings won't allow me to have internet and group policy at the same time

I%26#039;ve got many useful answers here on yahoo answers from you guys. Thank You. My windows 2000 network is working except one thing. When I log in the domain from the workstation I want windows to load the custom group policy settings that I created in active directory. I can do that easily IF I repeat IF I set the DNS IP address in tcp/ip settings to the one that I%26#039;m running on the server. I%26#039;m also using internet sharing on the server and I%26#039;d like to access the internet from the workstation. BUTTTTT it only works if I change the DNS settings to my router%26#039;s ip address. So I either have gpo applied OR have internet because each feature requires it%26#039;s own DNS setting. How can I have both? I have to have GPO applied so I can restrict the user%26#039;s environment and I have to have internet on the workstations. I have 2 NIC in the server by the way and I enabled the internet sharing on the NIC that is connected to the router that is the internet (if this info help). Thank you for your help you guys.|||u need to move internet connection sharing off of ur domain controller,, thats just not right at all; security and config wise. Ideally the DC should be the DC and not to much more,, possibly running DNS/DHCP in some minimalist configs but NAT/Internet connection sharing no I don%26#039; t even think thats available on the domain controller servers in windows. and anything u want to access the internet needs to be pointed at ur default gateway. If u know to point the server to the router to access the internet what are u sharing the internet for? i just don%26#039;t get that one. Who configured this network? Ok GPO%26#039;s are set on the domain controller and are attached to active directory container objects like OU%26#039;s or groups,, in fact from what ur explaining it sounds more like ur in a work group model than a domain and if thats the case u can%26#039;t apply GPO%26#039;s to others PC%26#039;s only to urs ,, if u r in a domain environment,, someone has seriously confused ur set up


Id be so fired if my users could either access internet or have GPO%26#039;s enforced,, heh try running gpresult from the command line of a PC that %26#039;should be a policy client%26#039; and see what u get,,, if u don%26#039;t see any of ur resultant policies then u know nothing has been configured.