Sunday 5 June 2011

How do I configuring Server 2003 with client systems to speed up login time?

I am trying to setup a basic internet cafe. I have a server with Server 2003 Enterprise and other client machines all connected to a router with an internet connection. I am able to add users to the domain with active directory and login as the user on other systems however when I try to login the time it takes to login can take up to 20 minutes. I have the TCP\IP of the server set to obtain an ip automatically and obtain DNS server automatically. Do I need to change these settings on the server? If so what should I change them to? Is it also ok to have the server and client systems all connected to the same router? Thanks for the info!|||For starters - the server needs a static IP - something like 192.168.0.10 would be ok. You also need it to have a static gateway - which would be the address of your router - I am guessing 192.168.0.1.


Perhaps you can set the server up as the Domain Controller - there is a wizard to walk you through this set up. Let the server assign the IP%26#039;s through DHCP NOT the router. To do this however - you are going to need a static IP from your ISP - extra money. The router can then be set up with just as a gateway.


The server and clients connected to the same router should be ok. The clients then would get their IP%26#039;s and DNS automatically.


Hope this helps and has not left you more confused.